Sunday, March 22, 2009

Plagiarism Sucks

So what fresh drama has entered my life? Plagiarism. Seriously- some fourteen-year-old on fanfiction.net lifted a Twilight fanfic that I had posted two years ago. Needless to say, I was quite miffed. Naturally, I sent an e-mail to the admin, and upon further investigation, I discovered that this chick had stolen another author's story as well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't resist posting a snarky review of the story that jacked, which must have tipped her off. She deleted my story, the other person's, as well as two others that I guess she stole as well. As it is, this chick has screwed with the wrong writer, and I'm keeping an eye out for any new stories that she posts. If I get so much as a whiff of plagiarism, her ass is getting banned. This time, with no prior warning.

It's not like I'm determined to catch this usurper (though to be honest, I am), it's just that she has no right to steal what other people have written. Some of you are probably wondering, "Hey, isn't that what fanfiction is?"

Wrongo.

In fanfiction, we do not claim the original author's stuff for our own. In fact, a lot of fandoms require their authors to include disclaimers that state that the characters, etc. featured in the story belong to whoever it is that created them. But for someone to plagiarize fanfiction? That's just low. We fanfic writers have an unwritten honor code that this chick broke to pieces. Also, I couldn't help but notice that she was a total noob. She had only joined the site this month, and the people that she had stolen from had been on the site for years (I joined in 2003, I believe). She also had an obnoxiously long profile, a definite sign of noobishness.

Anyway, moving onto more pleasant subject matter, I got the Twilight DVD yesterday. I ended up getting the Target 3-Disk Deluxe Edition, which also came with a free digital download of the movie and special features from iTunes. It's not that I'm a huge fan of the movie, but I just wanted to have it to have.

See, here are my main issues with the movie. Though the first third (leading up to Edward and Bella being an item) and the last third (the baseball scene onward) were quite good, and they cast the Cullens perfectly, the middle third makes me gag. Really, why couldn't they have stuck to the book there? True, the book was somewhat cheesy itself, but the writers blew that middle but from a little cheddar to full-blown constipation. The reveal was horrible.

On the note of Twilight, check this chick out. She's an artist of Deviant Art called Robbuz, and her artwork is AMAZING.

Alice___Cat_by_Robbuz
This would be Alice- adorable, right? She has a whole Twilight Animal series that does Bella and the Cullens, as well as Jacob. She also has some other Twilight theme series, such as Elementals:

Carlisle___Light_by_Robbuz
Carlisle as "Light"
And the Seven Deadly Sins:

Rosalie___Envy_by_Robbuz
Rosalie as "Envy"
And she also has a series featuring the characters drawn with representative flowers:

Jasper___Chamomile_by_Robbuz
Jasper with soothing chamomile
She also has a ton of other, non-themed Twilight art. If you're wondering, I don't know this person, but I love fanart, and her's is fantastic.

ID__EdwardxBella_version_by_Robbuz
Diamonds_and_dogs_by_Robbuz
the_Beauty_and_the___Beast__by_Robbuz
I'm a HUGE Buffy (and Spike!) fan... ^_^
Jacob___the_vampire_slayer_XD_by_Robbuz
The picture that we all know so well:
The_Cullens_by_Robbuz
And my personal favorite:
And_If____by_Robbuz

Wow, this is such a long post... o.O

-Mary

No comments: